There is a saying in this area….
“There are 2 kinds of houses, ones that had termites and ones that are going to have termites”
I did this home inspection last week that left no doubt which house this was. There were literally thousands of termite tubes dangling from the floor and joists under the home. There was so much damage to the joists, I could easily put my hand all the way through some of them.
Richard Roy has completed all the necessary training to achieve the status of a “Fortified Evaluator”
There are mandated insurance discounts in many coastal states including Alabama and Mississippi for homes that have achieved a FORTIFIED designation.
Save up to 25% or more a year on your wind insurance premiums over the life of your roof, which is typically 15 years.
Check out these links for more information
Hurricane season is upon us. Are you and your insurance company on the same page?
Evaluate whether your home insurance policy should include Guaranteed Replacement Value
It’s not too late to have a Wind Mitigation on your home. This can save you lots of money with discounts from most major insurance carriers
Just a friendly reminder, if you wish not to get a visit from the Fire Department you should make sure to always keep your dryer duct clean and free of debris.
Check out this link for some basic cleaning guidelines
Did you know…
Some heavy garment loads can contain more than a gallon of water which, during the drying process, will become airborne water vapor and leave the dryer and home through an exhaust duct (more commonly known as a dryer vent).
Building code (IRC) International Residential Code offers several guidelines if you want to read on at:
After a rainstorm look for water puddling near your foundation. If there are puddles you need to re-grade, install a moisture barrier, french drain, cut a swale, gutters, etc.
Ideally water will drain 3″+ away from the foundation of your home
This is how myself and some other fire department personnel from Alabama and Florida spent our morning. I do not know if anyone was texting, but I am saying always think safety. A text, phone call or other distraction from driving can cause major wrecks and more.
This wreck kept traffic backed up for hours trying to cross the Lillian bridge.
Please be safe and use your head
Today’s home inspection had a problem with the wiring for a 3 way switch. Wiring a 3 way light switch so that you can an operate a light or fan from two different locations can be tricky. It is my understanding that most of the time it’s a wiring concern when found not working. Today, I’m not so sure. They will need to hire an electrician and confirm what is going on. I can say that the light switch installed was the wrong type. A 3 way light switch will not have any writing on the switch. A switch not designed for a 3 way will say “ON”
Below is a diagram of things I will never see during a home inspection, as it is concealed inside the walls and ceilings.
Sample way to quickly identify a proper 3 way switch
In the recent past months I have found a very high percentage of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are outdated. Our state standards require us to
“Check the presence or absence of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms”
So, we are not required to test these devices, though it’s very rare that we do not. I came across this article recently and felt it worth sharing. In short, the article is stating several states now require combination units to be installed in new homes, which I think is a huge step in the right direction.
The full article is in the Columbus Dispatch
Highlights of this article are:
“Ohio has become the fifth state to require photoelectric smoke alarms in new homes.
In the state’s first official acknowledgement that traditional ionization alarms are insufficient, new building codes require both ionization and photoelectric alarms on all floors of homes.
Studies have shown that photoelectric devices are better at detecting smoldering fires, the most common home fire.
Ionization detectors are considered better at detecting flames”
It’s a small price to pay to have a safer home!
I just finished an inspection that the client didn’t want, at first. Her lending institution told her she needed one to get a loan. (That’s another story) During the course of the inspection things went very well. The house was 30 plus years old and had recently been rehabbed by someone local.
When I got to the heating and cooling I found an item which costs only a few dollars and it was incorrectly installed which could cost someone their life. I found that someone used a clothes dryer vent pipe for a gas flu vent type “b” vent. Needless to say, this won’t work, the back side of the vent was cooked with a large hole in it. Carbon monoxide had been pouring into the house while doing this home inspection until I found this safety issue.
I immediately turned the heater off and asked the clients and their young kids to go outside and get some fresh air. Fortunately they had not been there but a very short time and fresh air is all they needed and they refused medical treatment. I do carry a small medical bag with me and checked my SPO2 levels which were fine.
Lots of lessons to be learned here. Above all else, GET A HOME INSPECTION!
I recently had a Realtor inquire about our services. Among this inquiry was one easy answer, but one some people seem to struggle with. She wanted my opinion as to the “Home Inspectors Role” in a Real estate sale.
Our responsibility is to provide the client with a complete and thorough inspection and report. The report should be an unbias report and assessment of the property at the time of the inspection. The inspection & report should be informative, easy to read and understand. We do our best to put items that are defective, unsafe or no longer working as intended on the summary page. We do not offer a pass or fail grade to a home inspection report